On 7/31/2011 01:05, John Francis wrote:
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:00:50AM -0400, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
well those landscape shots are all well and good but I like the
little ground squirrel the best :-)

http://www.jfwaf.com/Yosemite/image.php?name=Yosemite_15

Larry has a shot of the little guy, too, in a slightly better pose.

   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5992231803/in/photostream/

Well I like yours better - the expression on the little fellas face is
nice on larry's but the shadow is way distracting..

And the rattler, too - just getting him in that pose... would love
to see you work on that image a bit to bring out his face ..

Pure luck - that's how he was when we first saw him. (That's
a pretty heavy crop from the original framing, even at 250mm).
Since he looks ready to strike - I'm sure glad you didnt get any closer!

I'm still learning my way around Adobe Camera Raw&  friends.
I've only had a decent monitor for a few months, and so until
then the finer details of colour and midrange contrast weren't
that easy to see (although I didn't realise how bad my older
setup was until I got the new monitor).

It's apparent that Larry's presets end up with a warmer tone
than what I'm using.  At the very least I should get round to
upgrading to LR3 (which I've been meaning to do for a while),
and maybe eeve do some tests with the ColorChecker(tm) which
I recently unearthed.

Another good (albeit demoralising) technique is to compare my
rendering with the in-camera JPEGs from the Olympus EPL-1.
In fact one of the shots with that little camera is possibly
the most interesting shot from the trip:

   http://www.jfwaf.com/Yosemite/image.php?name=EPL10299

I love the way the skyline is mirrored by the shape of the trees.

I wish I could take credit for spotting this at the time, but
the truth is that I only noticed it after I got home and took
a look at the uploaded images on the computer.

I bet you did notice it when you shot it.. in the moment..
your eyes saw it even if you didn't do the ahha thing then.

ann