Yes - that is a big part of it with some species. You can almost always count on 12 spotted skimmers and many of the meadowhawks to come back to the same perch. Some species though never do that - widow skimmers and spangled skimmers to name a couple. Other species - like blue dashers, dot tailed whitefaces, frosted whitefaces, etc, return to the same perch, but only on occasion. One trick I use is to rush in on the dragonfly (or other insect) while they are in flight. If I'm the only thing moving they usually fly off, but when they are moving (so everything the are looking at is in motion) I'm less noticeable. Works for other bugs too, but not for vertebrates...

- MCC