On Aug 15, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Subash wrote:

> occasioned by drew's OT running post...
>
> did a century ride on the cycle yesterday (about 134 km in a little more

Interesting that you call that a century.  The one ride I did of that length
they called a metric double.

> than six hours on an MTB on a regular highway :)). the highlight was
> drafting for about 10km behind a petrol tanker truck at about 35km/h.
> have seen guys doing it behind faster-moving trucks, but since this was
> my first time, chose a not-so-fast truck to draft behind. quite a heady
> and addictive feeling... :)

I've never drafted a truck, but back in college when I did longer rides, I did
a lot of wheelsucking.

Perhaps the best one was the time I rode the Davis Double Century solo.  My
goal was to be back by dark, and when I was about 50 miles out it looked like
there was no way I was going to make it. Then a tandem went past like I was
standing still, so I asked if I could draft. They said "no problem" and I
jumped in behind them.  Within a couple of miles the draft line had grown to
about 30 bikes.

The reason the tandem was running so late was  that at the start of the ride
there are all these huge packs and draft lines of 50, maybe 150 bikes. Every
year, someone will see a cop car at one of the farm road intersections and
before they notice the cop is controlling traffic will slam on their brakes to
keep from running the stop sign that they were going to blow off.  It is not a
good thing when someone suddenly slams on their brakes in the middle of a draft
line.

On another ride (I think it was the metric double that I did without training,
on a bike without a front derailleur, I was chatting up a girl I had caught up
with and she said she needed to back off the pace.  I said she could draft me
if she wanted. With her back there I slipped into the zone and pretty much
forgot about everything until a while later, I heard a voice saying "you've
pulled the line for a quite a while, I can lead if you want". I looked back and
there was a long draft line behind me.