New YOrk is covered with tags, non-art and some art - I think it is fine if the posts and the artwork are plastered only on sheets of plywood like this that are temporary and an eyesore anyway - often enhanced by graffiti or amusing tags.

There is a building in QUeens where the artists were invited and other
areas where they are free to paint

HOwever, there is much too much tagging on nicely painted buildings -
It's often coming from an angry place - sometimes with a message, other times just sheer vandalism.. it happened a lot in the 70's then it wained...

Chalk on sidewalks is more or less encouraged or at least approved of, tho. And in my neighborhood there is a lot of art that has been put on buildings with the blessing of the building owners or even paid for by them.

ann