I haven't seen the film, and I suspect much of it is just clever marketing to promote the artist(s) -- though heaven knows that they need to earn a living somehow and painting on walls in the middle of the night doesn't pay directly.

However I think that Banksy's work is smart commentary on modern urban conditions, and I've enjoyed seeing photos of it.

But "tagging", well that's just the human equivalent of dogs peeing on hydrants and posts to mark territory. It's just stupid, mindless wankery. Look everybody, I can draw a signature doodle on this sign with my black magic marker! W00t!! Yeah, right. Get off my frickkin lawn, kid.

And the bulk of graffiti of the sort you see below overpasses or on cement walls is a kind of folksy doodling in the vein of what bored schoolkids do in their textbooks. Once in a while you encounter real graffiti art that took effort by someone with talent. But not as a rule.

I shoot graffiti scrawls from time to time in a faint homage to Aaron Siskind's work. Here's one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_m_walker/3494949280/lightbox/

-bmw