Got the SMC Takumar Zoom 135-600 6.7 from
Japan this week. I bought it mostly
to fill out my screwmount lens collection
but couldnt wait to try it out.

First of all the F6.7 aperture makes it
tough to focus at 135mm but its easy enough
to focus at 600 and then just zoom out
if needed.

Best feature of this lens is the wide
zoom range of nearly 4.5 to 1. Nikon and
Canon never made a lens like this. WIMPS.
Another really useful thing is that it
focuses down to only 20 feet even at 600mm.
This allows for some really tight framing
which probably be great for birding. There
is a super closeup attachment lens that
allows it to focus to 10 feet but I didnt
try it yet.

I havent shot enough apertures and distances
yet to get a good handle on the performance
but I can say one thing: This lens at 600mm
is AWESOME. I did not expect this at all,
usually telezooms get softer at the long end.
This one seems just as good maybe even better
at 600!

Here a test shot of some field lights about 75 yards
away from camera using 600mm & f11:

Full frame
http://www.gate.net/~hifisapi/600mmlights1.jpg

cropped blowup
http://www.gate.net/~hifisapi/600mmlights2.jpg

I'm gonna try some color with it this weekend
if the weather clears up. I'm delighted with
the results so far. I never expected a 25 year
old zoom to be anywhere near this good. I am
psyched up about tele-photography again and this
is a perfect compliment to my P67 setup which
doesnt cover the long end very well.
JCO