On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:34 -0500, "Walt Gilbert" <ldott...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Nice shots, Brian!
>
> Like others, I do like the second one best.  I don't know if they're all
> very similar in appearance, but that one has a deceptively domesticated
> look about it.  They're pretty handsome beasts compared to the mangy
> coyotes we have around here.
>
> And just think how notable an event it would've been in NZ!  ;-)
>
> (Also, I like that word, "fossicking" -- had to look it up.)

That's interesting.  I thought 'fossicking' was international in meaning
but a bit of Googling suggests it originated in Cornwall and probably
got into Australia via Cornish miners.

Yes, dingos all look more or less like the one in the photo. They look
like domesticated dogs because they have the same origin.  It's thought
that dingos arrived in Aus several thousand years ago with people
migrating from the north when sea levels were lower.  Those thousands of
years of isolation have caused them to develop into a stable 'breed'.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia