I just read the article in Shutterbug and man, I can see why this generated so much
list traffic earlier in the week - this is not just another new chip. That's a big
deal. The implications are huge. It doesn't smell of vaporware, either...

Few or no color fringing artifacts, drastically reduced processing times. Dramatically
faster digital cameras. 36 bit color and dynamic range! Whew!

Basically, all digital cameras (even C***** and N***** best efforts) that use the old
style mosaic chip are shortly to be obsolete. I don't believe that's an
oversimplification or an exaggeration - it's like moving from a 286 to the 386 -
there's simply a big difference (at least in the "wintel" computing world) between 16
bit and 32 bit computing.

Anyone heard of plans for a film scanner using this chip yet? That scanner will have
similar advantages.

The wildest part is - this chip simply does a better job at mimicking film in it's
multi-layered construction and its ability to capture multiple colors at the exact
same X Y coordinates on the "film" plane! "Mosaic" chips simply can't do that. Hence
all that "churning" after you "trip the shutter" in a digital camera.

Imagine if you could design a monitor like that? No more "pixels" as we currently know
them?

Sorry, I'm like the guy who came late to the party and can't shut up. Who thought a
N**** D1x would be obsolete before my Super Program?   ...(Smile) Yeah, me too....

Chris Lillja
School Publications Guy