On Sep 3, 2011, at 2:59 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

> Did they just close off the entire city center? What did they do with all the
> people?

Yep, the entire city centre was made inaccessible to the general public.  We're
talking 6-foot high chain link fences all the way around, with checkpoints
staffed by police and army personnel.  We don't have a lot of people living in
that area but those who did, whose houses were safe, were given passes to allow
them access.

Since then they've re-opened quite a bit, but mostly in the outer parts of the
CBD which were more residential.  All the tower buildings and shopping /
tourist stuff is still off limits but they've managed to open a couple of
through-roads which helps the transport a bit.

The reason why it was closed is simply because it's dangerous.  There are still
a significant number of unstable buildings, some of which are quite tall by our
standards.  About half of the buildings in the "red zone" need to be
demolished.  I thought I saw the exact figure today but I'm not able to track
it down... I think it's in the region of 700 to 800.

As for people, businesses did what they could to relocate into temporary
premises in the suburbs.  A lot of people were working from home for a while.
Many stores were put "on hold" as they were unable to access their stock.
Having said that, the city isn't entirely paralysed because we have a few big
suburban malls, all but one of which were able to stay open (the other one is
reopening next weekend).

After a while, depending on location, business owners were allowed to arrange
to be escorted to their premises to retrieve what they could within a limited
time - about an hour or so but I think it varied on a case-by-case basis.  This
was managed street by street as they were made safe enough... provided you were
accompanied by a structural engineer.

> When you say "music shop" do you mean record/CD store or instrument dealer?

Sorry, a record store :)

Dave