At the bank where I used to work, everyone was asked to separate paper from
the rest of their trash. The paper was shipped to a paper mill where it
went straight into the pulping machine.

This was the non-secure trash. If something was routinely confidential
(like customer records) it was separated and then picked up by employees,
who retained it in a secure area till they had a truck load and then
personally delivered it to the paper mill and maintained a chain of custody
with it till it was destroyed.

And if you really had a secret, you shredded it before having it picked up
and escorted to the paper mill.

- MCC

At 09:03 AM 3/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Peter,
>
>On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 04:10:23 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Well, I considered shredding but there are a great many staples in our
> > paperwork. I know, an industrial shredder _should_ be able to cope, but I
> > have a few nasty experiences......
>
>I was at a (document management) business show some years ago and there
>was a company displaying industrial shredders.  One of them was as big
>as a Mini Cooper (Cooper Mini?).
>
>The salesman tossed a 3" three-ring binder filled with heavy ad pages
>into the beast.  It chewed up everything but the metal binder itself,
>which it dumped into a bin to the side.  Then he pulled the binder out
>of the bin, threw it into the beast's maw, and it chewed that up too!
>Of course, that thing probably cost US$100k, and that was back in the
>late 1980s.
>
>TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ
>-
>This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To unsubscribe,
>go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to
>visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .

Mark Cassino
Kalamazoo, MI