Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

It's very interesting to hear others' take on this. I have found over
and over again that when I disable AF my photos are far more
consistently in-focus, regardless of camera and regardless of how low
the light I'm working in might be or whether the subjects are moving
or not. AF generally does little other than slow things down for me.
Like steve, I've moved more and more to abandoning AF entirely too.

I'm open to better manual focus with better focus aids, and I could do that at times. But for quick action you simply don't have the time for focusing.

"As quick and precise an AF system as possible" would lead me to
looking into the Nikon D3s and D700, they seem to be the market
leaders in this area as well as in sensitivity and noise control.

I perceive the K-5 and a few good lenses as the poor man's D3s/D700 & AF Nikkor VR lenses outfit, which I could hardly afford. Not to speak of the special relationship I have developed with the Pentax people in Italy/Europe.

Dario