Larry Colen wrote:

I've seen reports, which I believe, that autofocus consistently outperforms manual focus.

About speed, yes, about precision, it depends on many variables...

The problem being that it focuses perfectly on the wrong thing.

Sometimes, I'd add. I (and you too, I believe) have several pictures proving it can also focus on the right thing.

I've found that live view, especially with zoom, allows me to focus in light that is beyond the ability for either unassisted, or autofocus. Unfortunately, the K-5 takes about a fortnight to actually take the shot after pressing the shutter, when in liveview. My suspicion is that somebody did some embedded systems programming when all they know is writing Java for desktop computers.

When the scene is fairly static, I pop it into LV, manually focus, then pop it out of live view. Unfortunately, if I've taken any photos, pressing the LV button will freeze the camera up until everything has been written from buffer into memory (see note above about embedded systems programming). The K-5 is an amazing camera, and in many ways the one that I've been waiting to be affordable for years, or decades, but there are so many things about the software that are simply braindead. Almost every complaint I have about it is with the software. Give me access to the source code and a couple of months and I could give you a camera that is damned near perfect.

Maybe you could talk to your special friends at Pentax and we could get those issues fixed.

Sorry, not special enough, I'm afraid. In order to (hope to) influence such 'sensible' matter, I should be in close contact with Japanese designers or high-level executives, which is not the case.

Dario