Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>There are a ton of
>free font sites out there and good free fonts can be found, but there
>is a lot of crap out there, as well. In breaking down a font, the
>letter forms themselves might be fine, but the leading may be
>inconsistent as you type them on the computer.

I think you're a bit astray here: Leading is the height (vertical
distance) between lines of text and not part of the font
characteristic at all. You may be referring to the Set Width of the
characters, which is a characteristic of the font. This can be
compensated for to some extent by adjusting the Tracking in Photoshop,
but that affects the spacing of all the characters in the text.
Adjusting the Kerning (spacing between individual letter pairs) is
often the only way to make bad fonts work. (It's not uncommon for even
well-designed fonts to look better at really large sizes by doing some
manual Kerning but it shouldn't be necessary in body text.)

>You can fix this by
>making the editable type into a graphic in Photoshop

You can adjust Leading, Tracking and Kerning in Photoshop without
turning editable text into raster form.