On Sep 15, 2011, at 2:09 PM, steve harley wrote:

> on 2011-09-15 10:41 Mark Roberts wrote
>> Darren Addy<pixelsmi...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> There are a ton of
>>> free font sites out there and good free fonts can be found, but there
>>> is a lot of crap out there, as well. In breaking down a font, the
>>> letter forms themselves might be fine, but the leading may be
>>> inconsistent as you type them on the computer.
>>
>> I think you're a bit astray here: Leading is the height (vertical
>> distance) between lines of text and not part of the font
>> characteristic at all. You may be referring to the Set Width of the
>> characters, which is a characteristic of the font.
>
> i think he's referring more to the kerning tables, which, as you mention,
> define the spacing of individual pairs of characters (e.g. "To" should be
> spaced differently from "Th"); these kerning pairs make a big difference in
> the "color" of large blocks of type (how the text looks as a mass); good
> fonts have hundreds or thousands of hand-tuned kerning pairs; knock-off and
> hobby fonts often have little regard for this kind of quality; compensating
> for this by hand is hopeless with large quantities of text, but there are
> tools, such as the Optical Character Spacing option in InDesign, which can
> force shabby fonts to lay out with fairly good color, assuming other aspects
> of the font are adequate

I think you meant that OCS can force fonts to lay out with fairly good letter
spacing -- or kerning. And of course you can hand kern in InDesign or Quark. It
was relatively simple with Quark. Unfortunately, I've had only minimal
experience with InDesign -- something I need to correct -- but I suspect
kerning is fairly simple in that program as well.

Paul