David,

I immediately bought the extension tube set when I bought the
body/lens.  I found out the need because the store had a used 165 and
I tried it out for portraits.  I couldn't get just a head shot with
it.  They pulled out a used extension tube set and put the #1 on and
suddenly I had the frame filling image I desired.  I tried the other
tubes and found that I had a cheap macro lens to boot.  Sold me on the
spot.  I have already used it quite a bit.

I've got my eye out for one of the 300's.  I would like to get the
newer one, but we'll see.

Brother Bruce