On Sep 20, 2011, at 10:57 PM, steve harley wrote:

> on 2011-09-20 23:21 Larry Colen wrote
>> As you might guess, when I was taking a break this afternoon, I noticed how
>> the angle of the light brought out the texture of the bark on one of the
>> trees, inspiring me to grab the camera, and give another try. I think that
>> this shot does a fair job of showing the texture of the bark, even if it
>> fails to give any idea of scale:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/6168039027/in/set-72157627594004271/lightbox/
>>
>> This shot, which has trees  in both the foreground and the background, might
>> be starting to give some idea of scale:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/6168577810/lightbox/
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions for what I might do?
>
> these images are interesting, but it's your words that add the context and
> start to convey the scale; both shots are fairly abstract if i don't imagine
> the context
>
> having seen your other work, i can't help imagining photos of dancers among
> the trees -- could you capture people leaping into the air in a way that
> shows how puny is their striving below these trees?

Interesting concept.  I have photographed people in my redwood grove, but never
in an attempt to give scale to the trees.  I'll have to think of some photos
with the trees as subjects and people as props, rather than the other way
around.

> i also wonder if you've seen James Balog's work depicting big trees by
> assembling multiple images taken while ascending, or otherwise; i met him
> when he'd just come out with _Survivors_, his series of animals on white
> backgrounds (we used several of his photos in a magazine i produced), and i
> have since been intrigued by each of what i think of as his experiments in
> context (though, as experiments, they often are better at breaking ground
> than at being aesthetic masterpieces)
>
> just a taste here, but interesting text:
>
> <http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200511/trees.asp>

No, I haven't seen his work. Thanks for the link.  I'm afraid that his
technique is probably a bit beyond my meagre abilities, at least when it comes
to climbing trees, not to mention stitching photos.  But, if there were a way
to photograph down, rather than up, that could do wonders for placing them in
scale.

I wonder if I could photograph them from the roof of the neighbor's house?