On 11-09-23 10:38 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
A while back I posted about a friend wanting to use one of my photos for her
album cover.  She did a small run of CDs by herself, but now they're going off
to be done for real. So rather than just the album cover, she needs pictures on
the liner notes as well.  So, while she's on a business trip, she has to get
some shots ready for her graphic designer to do the layout, she's poking around
on facebook picking her favorite shots, and asked for three more of mine.

That's great, it's a nice ego stroke and all that.  One of the shots is what
I'd consider technically acceptable.  I had someone hold my AF540 off camera,
and posed a shot of her, and another musician.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/6176828342/in/set-72157627606964975

Two, pretty women, with nice smiles, what's not to like?  I blew out some of
the highlights, but for quicky portraits done on a stage with a single
speedlight, I'm not complaining.

I'd remove the red-eye from both girls and fix the hotspots and clean up the skin blemishes on Michelle's cheek. CD art is printed at at least 400dpi and small details are likely to show up.

Another of the shots isn't too bad, if you don't look to closely:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/6173860436/in/set-72157627606964975

And for ISO 10,000, it's not too bad. But blow it up at all, and while the K-5
is pretty damned impressive at ISO 10,000, it's still ISO 10,000, and at f/2.8
I'm not quite sure what the camera actually focused on, but I suspect it might
be the bricks behind the musicians.

That one's just fine, I'd say. A good performance shot. The softness won't matter at the size that's likely to be reproduced.

The last one she wanted, ouch.  Considering the lighting, and that I was
shooting hand held with the K-x at ISO4000, it's not bad. But, Don Quixote's
loves their red gels. It looks like it was photographed in a darkroom:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/6176866538/
So I tried a b&w conversion:

Stop right there and ask yourself why you are trying to eliminate the red. It's part of the performance; it's what the audience saw, after all; it is the character, mood, ambiance of the space. This isn't a product shoot where you need to colour calibrate everything to remove an unwanted colour cast.

I'd be willing to bet that the artist chose this shot because of what she saw. She's not expecting you to monkey with it.

I'd give the customer what she wants. :-)

-bmw