On Sep 26, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Walter Hamler wrote:

> Back in my days in NZ while in the Navy I went up a mountain near
> Blenheim with friend. He had a Range Rover and I figured we would be
> good to go. Well, we got stuck in some deep rotten snow and had to dig
> ourselves out. While we were doing so a Kea came up to us and we were
> amazed at how tame he/she was, seemingly. It was very curious at
> everything we did, even jumping on the shovel as if to help. It never
> got aggressive, nor was it a nuisance really, just persistent!

I'm surprised it didn't pull the Range Rover to pieces.  They're very friendly
and entertaining birds but turn your back on them and they'll start ripping all
the rubber bits out from around the windows.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was looking for food as tourists often feed them,
even though they're not supposed to.

They'll often work in groups.  The one you didn't see was the one sitting on
the waist-high fence starting to nibble on Janet's handbag while that little
fellow was engaging in his antics on her shoulder.

Thanks to everyone who looked & commented.

Cheers,
Dave