> On 28/09/2011 11:23 AM, Tom C wrote:
>
>> Exactly my logic for why I think the default to not fire in A-mode is
>> RETARDED!
>>
>> If I mount a lens on the front of the camera it MEANS I want to take a
>> picture. It does NOT mean I want to consult the manual. It does NOT
>> mean I want figure out what a F-- message is. It does NOT mean I want
>> to scroll through menus.  Making me do those things EVEN ONCE, may
>> make me miss the shot.
>>

> Which default will give Pentax the greater frequency of repair requests
> that require significant tech time?
>
> 1) You mount a non A series lens and the camera bricks.
> 2) You mount a non A series lens and the camera gives wildly incorrect
> exposures?
>
> The Idea of a bigger alarm flashing on the back screen is good, perhaps
> a rousing Sousa march to get the user's attention would also be
> necessary, and what would really be nice is to have the users manual
> programmed into the camera's software, complete with pop ups that tell
> you exactly what has gone wrong, and exactly what you need to do to
> correct your camera's settings.
> And what would be really, really nice would be a camera that we can
> program in the scene types that we want to capture and just send the
> damned thing out on it's own to capture them for us.
>
> --
>
> William Robb

When I've used my FA lenses in non-A-mode and totally manual lenses on
my other Pentax DSLR's I didn't get wild exposure errors.  Maybe I was
lucky with the scene. However I must admit that the majority of the
time I do that, it's night shots and in bulb mode, and I'm viewing the
result on the LCD and adjusting. Thinking back though, even in
non-bulb mode I didn't have wild exposure errors with the K20D or *ist
D when using a manual lens.

A user with the exposure errors more than likely does have an A-mode
lens and they would likely be able to tell that with lens A they get
proper exposure and with lens B they do not. That, for the most part,
absolves the body.

I understand your point and I'd even agree with you if I felt like it.
:-)  Stop interfering with my righteous rage.

The facts that I was lacking the time to figure out what was going on
the other night, was setting up in very low light, my laptop battery
kaputted making the .pdf manual out of reach, and wanted to ready the
camera immediately for shooting was what frustrated me so much on
this.

I'd prefer the camera allow me to upload musical selections of my
choice and and allow me to assign tracks to error codes. Or they could
make it like the Minolta Talker... "Too dok, use frash".

Tom C.