[I really should resist the urge, but alas I cannot ...]

On 11-10-06 5:47 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
It's interesting to see what Hoya has done for Pentax:

They've taken them from mediocre sensors (K10/K20/K7) to good ones (K-x, K-r, K-5)

By what measure do you assert that the K10/K20/K7 sensors are _mediocre_? Because they don't measure up to the K-5? In that case *all* APS-C sensors in all cameras from all manufacturers that predate the K-5 are mediocre. No? Then compared to the then-current competitive sensors? When the K20D arrived, it was widely praised for the quality of its sensor. Crusty old Mike Johnson was moved to actually purchase one for himself, and he's hard to please. In every way it's the IQ equivalent of its contemporary the Nikon D90, an excellent camera and quite likely Nikon's best selling APS-C body.

Keeping up with the state of the art is not mediocre. Pushing up the state of the art, as the K-5 did, could be called outstanding.

I only draw this out because encountering that first flawed assertion makes me disinclined to read the rest, which as it turns out I agree with.

They finally brought out the 645D. It seems to be such a good camera that everyone who has one spends all of their time taking pictures rather than hanging out on PDML.
They brought out the K-5 which is a no-apologies APS sensor DSL.
They brought out the Q, which seems to amaze everyone with its build quality, image quality and ergonomics. Then they sold the company to Ricoh, who actually seems to care about the digital camera market.

So what are we to conclude?

Maybe we can expect some really earth-shattering improvements and announcements from Pentax/Ricoh.

(I still can't believe they called it the Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company. Didn't one single exec pronounce the acronym out loud?)

-bmw