Darren Addy wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this link. I agree with virtually everything he said.
>
> The only part I disliked was when he got a little condescending over
> letting others shooting the "clich?" stuff. I agree that we all can
> widen view of what makes great images, though.
>
> I think he made a lot of great points, especially the part about constraints.

I pretty much agree with most of what he said and is intent, and it's
good to be reminded of the simple facts.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting the cliche images.
They're cliche because typically the subject matter is so appealing
that's it's become easily recognized and popularized. If one is in
Yosemite at Half Dome, one will certainly take some images of that
scene. A challenge would be to shoot a cliche subject in a way that
it's still very good, but is less/not cliche.

I do wonder though... for those years he shot with only a compact
camera... does he wish some of those very same images WERE captured
with higher resolution, lower noise, or with a better lens? I bet so.
While limiting the tools you take on a job can certainly stimulate
creativity, it can also limit what one may be able to accomplish.

As far as the sunset comment. my experience has been that 9/10 times,
the sunset will be far more interesting than what's behind you. Let's
see sunset, beach, water, palm trees... or behind me.... nameless
people walking down the street, negotiating traffic, snotty nosed kid,
trash cans. I'll take the sunset.

Tom C.