Tim, think about what you just said. The stars are as close to infinity focus as anything you'll ever look at.

On 10/20/2011 8:10 AM, Matthew Hunt wrote:
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157627935602764/

Each was shot at a different combination of ISO, shutter speed and aperture,
varying from ISO 1600 to ISO 100.

One thing that I learned is that I'm going to need to go out during the day,
focus my lenses on infinity and mark exactly where that is.
How did you focus these? I would guess that Live View would be the way to go.

The star trails look pretty well controlled at 80 seconds in these shots.

For fun, you might try uploading to nova.astrometry.net, the blind
astrometry solver, which will identify objects in your image. Or you
can add to their Flickr group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/astrometry

Thanks for posting these. I was looking forward to seeing some examples.

--
Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.