Being at the very end of the roll that frame probably got handled a bit more than the rest of the roll, sniping off the spool and all. maybe a little finger grease got on it. I do not use stop bath - my protocol is to dump the developer, fill the tank with water, agitate, dump, fill again and let sit for a few minutes. I figure that will bring up the less dense areas of film a bit. Then I fix and wash. I appreciate your insights - you have a lot more darkroom experience that I do. Ted Serios has nothing to fear from me...

MCC