On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 02:03:01PM -0500, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: Paul Stenquist
>
> I have noticed on both the K10D & K20D with battery grips that when
> the camera is set to use the battery in the grip first, it does not
> automatically switch over to the battery in the camera when the
> battery in the grip runs down.

I'm pretty sure that's documented behaviour.  The decision on which
battery to use is made at power-on time - to switch batteries, you
need to power-cycle the camera.

> I have to run the battery in the grip down until the battery level
> indicator shows a blinking low battery symbol, then turn the camera
> off. When I turn the camera back on the battery level indicator will
> show the status of the battery in the camera. Usually the battery in
> the camera shows no more than half charge at that point.
>
> I do not know if this behavior is characteristic of all K10D & K20D
> cameras or peculiar to the two examples I have, although based on
> the posts to this thread, I suspect it is common to all.

The need to power-cycle the camera to switch batteries is expected. But
the second battery only appearing to be half-charged is definitely not.
I've hardly ever seen that behaviour with my K10D (or, for that matter,
with either the predecessor *ist-D or successor K-5), although I always
use batteries in both the camera and grip, and "use grip battery first"
is my default setting. (And the second battery I use in the K10D is a
third-party accessory, not a Pentax OEM battery; back in those days
the price saving was substantial).