Hi Bob, I am with you on the K-5 idiosyncrasies and read about this
particular silly battery problem. I also read on the net not to wait
for a complete discharge of the battery, but to recharge them when the
camera shows half to quarter charge. Li-ion cells do not have the
dreaded "memory" effect. Never the less I am an "old school" chap, and
do discharge them fully now and then.
I do not have the grip for the K-5, so cannot say about "AA"
rechargeables. I have known electronic stuff to just "hang" silly for
nothing. The only answer is the "remove and re-install" battery
routine.
Can we get an opinion from Pentax / Ricoh Japan on this silly problem?
Especially since the K20D does not show this problem - thanks God my
new K-5 is OK till now. How about the Canikons?
Regards. Bipin.