I've realized that one reason the PDML has helped me improve my photography is
not only feedback on my photos, but looking at other people's photos and
reading the feedback on them. It has exposed me to different styles of
photography, given me a feel what other people like, or dislike, and why, and
in many cases set the bar up much higher than when all I ever did was pretty
much look at my own photos.  I've been on a few other forums which have a lot
of people who are just barely past the stage of understanding how f/stop
affects depth of field and think  that makes them a technical expert.

One thing I haven't seen a lot of is discussion on how to give and take
criticism. And a related discussion of what venues on the net, or off,  are
good for that sort of discussion.