I wasn't referring to the PDML per se, but just the skills in general. Being an engineer, I could spend a lot of time designing an online photography critique community, but that is an exercise in mental masturbation that I'll leave for another day.

Here is a disorganized brain dump of some of my thoughts on the subjects. Maybe, at some point, I'll try and actually write a coherent piece on the subject. Or at least put in enough effort to find one that someone else has already written.

1) Opinions are neither right nor wrong. If someone doesn't like something, there's nothing to argue about. Different people will like different things. On several occasions two photos, or two versions, of the same photo, posted to a group of skilled photographers, with the question "which is better", and invariably the results are split. And it can be for reasons as basic as "I prefer color" , "I prefer black and white", or "I hate the shade of teal in the second shot".

2) I can learn from anybody. Even if I know far more than someone about a particular topic, they can always see something that I missed.

3) I least enjoy hearing about what I did wrong, but that is usually what I most need to hear to improve my craft. If I don't know what's wrong, it is very hard to fix it.

4) It is just as important to tell someone what they did right, what worked, as what didn't work.

5) It is very rarely as useful to ask for critique of a set, as it is of a single photograph. The person reviewing them won't have time to devote to each one, and there will almost always be exceptions to observations like "it looks like your horizon is crooked", or "it looks like your autofocus is in love with the microphone and hates the vocalist".

6) It is often more useful to ask for feedback about a particular aspect of a photograph.

7) Don't just say that something is wrong, give suggestions on how to fix it.

8) I can learn as much from reading critiques of other people's work, as I can reading critiques of my own.

9) Someone looking at a photo on a wall generally won't care if it was taken at ISO 640, f/8 or with an instamatic, Hasselblad, or 645D. However, someone trying to help you improve your photography will need to know details like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, maybe the lens, was it on a tripod or hand held, what sort of lighting, did you shoot a grey card frame to set the color balance, was it taken on auto or manual focus, or any of the myriad of technical details that affect a shot.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)