From: Tom C <caka...@gmail.com>
To: pdml@pdml.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: putting those feedback skills to use

> From: Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>
>
> On my way home from what I'll euphemistically call lunch, it was lunch,
> perhaps food is the euphemism, I noticed an old trailer parked in the back of
> what used to be an RV lot in Scotts Valley.  It may be older than I, was
> probably quite the item when new, but now seems even more decrepit than I.
> In other words, a photo opportunity that I couldn't resist. There is
> something that I find strangely compelling about photographing things that
> have decayed from their past glory.
>
> Now that I've had a chance to look at the photos, I'm a bit disappointed.  I
> got a few nice ones, but none as nice as they looked through the viewfinder.
> So, I'm actively soliciting feedback on what I should have done. Six photos,
> two of the trailer, four detail shots.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157628213959037/
> or
> http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157628213959037/
>
> As an aside, due to a complete brainfart, the first photo I took was,
> according to the camera, five stops underexposed at ISO 80.  I hit auto tone
> on the nearly black image in lightroom, and a surprisingly clean photo
> appeared.  Artistically, it was dreck, but for a photo shot at 1/4000 sec
> rather than 1/60, it was very sharp and noise free dreck.
>
> --
> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est

None of the detail shots really appeal to me. Dreck happens. :-)

The two of the trailer at large both had potential and I see the
appeal of the subject. You were working with difficult lighting in
those shots, partial shadow on one and opposite the sun on the other.
The second shot appears to be too tight in on the trailer, not enough
empty space.

Sometimes the light is just not right for the subject we're enthralled with.

That's my opinion, expressed nonjudgmentally.

Tom C.