> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> John Sessoms
>
> I think that's been the *LAW* in France since around 2004. Maybe before
> that it was just custom.

I don't think that's correct. The law in question just states that everyone
has the right to have their private life respected, and that judges can take
all measures to protect it:
<http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT0000060
70721&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006419288&dateTexte=20111201>

This encompasses the right to one's own image, but it is highly complex and
most certainly does not entail seeking everyone's permission before you take
a picture.

In practice it means you're supposed to get the subject's permission if you
want to publish a photograph or other image which shows the person in a
private context. In addition it seems that you can't publish a picture which
could be harmful - for instance, showing Dominique Strauss-Kahn handcuffed
while awaiting trial is illegal in France, even though he was in public,
because of the presumption of innocence. The fact that the USA and other
countries showed such pictures was considered quite shocking, because they
could be prejudicial in the event of a trial.

This does not extend to people engaged in the performance of their duties,
so it doesn't protect say a corrupt politician.

<http://www.cndp.fr/savoirscdi/index.php?id=870>

Bob