On Dec 7, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Evan Hanson wrote:

> I've noticed that lately a lot more people seem to favor very
> contrasty overly saturated photos to a more natural look.  Has anyone
> else noticed this trend?  Maybe it's due to the proliferation of small
> digicams and camera phones whose jpgs tend to be very contrasty by
> default.

Some people like photos with punch, pop and sizzle.  My take is that some
images work well that way, others don't.  In the same vein I don't condemn
every image done with over the top HDR and tone mapping, but feel that it is
often over done.  One of these days I'll learn the tools well enough to get a
natural looking wide dynamic range.  Though judging based  on my K-5 versus the
K20, by the time I get around to learning how to do it in software,  the
sensors will be able to collect that dynamic range in hardware.

My kvetch is with portraits where the skin tones are over exposed enough to, if
not wash out, then lose most of the detail.  I think of it as "The canon look",
probably because the friend of mine that shoots a lot in that style shoots a
canon.