I'd blame the smartphones and their cheap "image improvement" apps, if
anything. But not even Fuji Velvia can call dibs on saturated colours, I think.

I've noticed the same trend. Since a couple of weeks ago I've submitted and
voted on photos at Panoramio, and you wouldn't believe the... Hmmm... Diversity
of photos submitted there. After a few rounds I have to vote at PPG just to
rest my eyes for a while.
But that said, it seems to be a trend with more than the general public. Last
night I stopped at the NatGeo website, and browsed a set of photos from a cave
system in Vietnam that had actually made it into their printed mag. The reds
and greens were all over the place.
And I'm a sucker for colour power myself... :-)

Jostein