On 12/19/2011 11:08 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:
The pentax hot shoe extension cord that I picked up when I bought my AF540
was very expensive, and didn't work so well.  A while later, I bought a
cheap third party one off some website, and it seems to work pretty well,
but it only has a convenient reach of about 6 feet before the pull on the
coiled cable gets to be a problem.

Does anyone have any wireless hot shoe extension cables that they'd like to
recommend?

If you're not concerned with dedicated operation, I recommend the
Cactus V5 RF remote triggers from Gadget Infinity :
   http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus-wireless-flash-transceiver-v5-duo.html
They've got the shutter release cable for Pentax as well. I've got
three of these transceivers and they work well.

I use dumb triggers with my studio flashes. I wish I could trust my AF540 to work as a dumb flash. with my luck, half the time it would decide to run on "auto" where it would decide ISO and aperture to some wonky default.

My experience with it over the past four years is that as soon as I try to do anything but TTL with it, it goes psychotic.

If you want dedicated flash operation, finding long cords is
difficult. It took me four months to find and receive a 9.5m uncoiled
flash extension cable ... even though it only cost me $50, it was a
serious pain in the took us. A friend turned me on to making them
myself, if I need another:

- take a Promaster Pentax TTL dedicated flash cord
- cut the ends off it
- wire a pair of RJ45 female sockets to the ends
- buy an appropriate length of quality ethernet cable for your needs

That's a clever idea. Since I've been wiring my house for data, I even have a lot of the tools, not to mention a big spool of cat 6.

He's made several cables this way for both Olympus and Nikon studio
flash setups. Very inexpensive to do, the trickiest bit is to find
nice sockets and wire them up, but anyone handy with telephone wire
type plugs and sockets shouldn't have any difficulty. He's had zero
problems with remote flash cables up to 50' long.

Could you ask him for suggestions on what to use, so I don't have to repeat the same mistakes he has made?

In the mean time, a decent off the shelf $30 cable 10-20 feet long would be great.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)