http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack

Technically it's not really an RJ45, it's a USOC-8 8P8C jack wired for Ethernet. Wired differently the jack becomes an RJ31X, RJ38X, RJ41S ... RJ61X. I used the RJ31X & RJ38X extensively when I was working on security systems.

But if you call it an RJ45 the guys at Best Buy/Staples/Office Depot will know what you're talking about.

From: "Larry Colen

I can never remember which is which, I did a google search and the images that
showed up showed th 8 pin.

From: Larry Colen

On 12/19/2011 11:27 AM, David Parsons wrote:
How stiff is your Cat6?  Stranded Cat5 may be a better option, it's
designed to be used as patch cabling.  If you are using solid Cat6,
you may find it a PITA to coil and uncoil when you need to use it.
Realistically, I'd just use my pre-made patch cables, rather than
making
my own.  It seems that all I'm finding right now are the 1m extension
cables anyways, but they're only about $17.

So, I just need to find good female RJ11 jacks that would work for
this
application.

I think you want RJ-45; RJ-11 is the little 4 pin telephone connector.