On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 11:47:11AM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:
> In another forum, there was a discussion about what kit people take on
> spontaneous photo walks. Several people mentioned how their primary camera
> (Nikon D2x and the like)  was too big and heavy got me thinking about how my
> K-5 with the DA40 compares with what was my only SLR for decades, an SRT-101
> with a 58/1.4. Note that both set ups have about the same FOV. For fun I
> threw a couple of primes on a K-1000 and an FE2.

Well, OK.  But if you compare the K-5 with something a bit later than the
SRT-101
(such as an Olympus OM-1 or the Pentax M-series bodies) it's not quite as close.
Yes, the weight adds capabilities (auto focus, shake reduction, etc.) that
aren't
on those older bodies.  But, at the end of the day, it's still extra weight.

Then there are the mirrorless systems like the Micro 4/3s, the NEX, the pentax
Q,
and the new Nikons.  These can produce images better than almost anything from
the film days (although there isn't as much capability for shallow depth of
field).
And these are all small (and light) enough to be considered as carry-anywhere,
and
not just when going on a photo walk (even a spontaneous one).