Sounds like our Social Security Card; "official verification" of our Social Security Account Number.

From: "knarftheriault"

Social INsurance card.

I don't know what the American equivalent would be but every working
Canadian needs one. It's for tax purposes, receiving federal
government benefits, pretty much all dealings with the federal
government.

The physical card doesn't mean that much; it's not that it's a
required ID card or anything. I got one when I got my first part time
job some 40 years ago. I lost it about 35 years ago and never got it
replaced. It's the number that's important. Mine's memorized; I just
spout it when I deal with the feds in person or on the phone and it's
all good.

Cheers, frank