I don't want to make a huge deal about this despite appearances to the
contrary, but I think there may be some value in learning to shoot in a manner
other than "take 400 images and hope that one or two turn out." If they have a
disposable film camera with 12 or 24 shots they will be forced to try to get it
right in fewer shots: to take it nice and slow, compose and frame, to not waste
shots. Plus, I think there's great value in levelling the playing field so no
one thinks that another student has an advantage due to arriving with a Leica
X1.

Hey, I'm not saying that this film thing has to be done to the exclusion of
digital. It would be only one exercise among many. Hell, there is something to
be said for the instant feedback of chimping, seeing an obvious fault and being
able to immediately reshoot.

Christine is obviously a very capable teacher and I know that she will be more
than able to teach her students valuable lessons with both film and digital
cameras.

So on to other things: I've often thought it might be fun to incorporate some
great photographs into such lessons. Maybe not each class, perhaps only for the
first class, show the students a photographic masterpiece, initiate discussion:
Do they like it? How does it make them feel? What makes it different from other
photos they've seen? Can they learn anything from it that they can use in some
of their own photos?

Tell them a bit about the photographer and the circumstances surrounding the
photo. Tell them how they can find other great photos to admire and be inspired
by.

It may be that some kids haven't seen many photos other than in the news, on
Facebook or family snaps. To know that there are genres of photos out there
that they haven't been aware of could only be a good thing, right?

Anyway, Christine, it's your class and whatever elements you use whether from
this discussion or from all other sources, I know your students will learn a
great deal from you. They'll be lucky to have you as their teacher.

Cheers,
frank