Totally agree.
I'd suggest the emphasis be put on composition and what its all about - isolate, simplify & define. In further, more advanced classes would be the time to get into some technical aspects of photography - exposure & the basics on non auto exposure - the effects of aperature, shuitter speed spot metering etc. Imo film might be referenced as the way it use to be.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Walker" <bruce.wal...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT: Photography for Kids?

This is late and probably nobody cares anymore, but I have to say my
piece or I'll fidget.

Larry and a few others suggest using film cameras in a beginners
course on photography. I think this is crazy and here's my analogy:
it's like giving a beginning writing course and requiring everyone to
show up with an old mechanical Underwood typewriter, then learn how to
thread the ribbon and apply white-out.

If I go to a basic writing course, I'm there to learn how to write.
Not how to work an obsolete typewriter. I want to learn how to tell a
better story using words.

If I go to a basic photography course I want to learn how to tell a
better story using images.

Okay, I can sleep now.