Perhaps of passing interest to the group is the largest digital camera
in the world: The Pan-STARRS
http://pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/public/

This is of interest (at least to me) on a couple of levels.
1) it uses over a Gigabyte of pixels in a sensor octagonal sensor
array (corners unimportant since the quality of the image circle is
lacking there) They call it a 64x64 sensor array, but it is not
square.
http://pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/public/design-features/cameras.html
2) it has discovered a comet (way way out) that may be our next
Hale-Bopp in 2013.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110622-new-comet-found-2013-visible-space-science/

Not a lot has been written about the comet since its orbit was
determined, and it will probably be fine-tuned. However the JPL
Horizons prediction is that it will be
brightest between March 8-12, 2013 with a magnitude near -0.5. (about
the brightness of Arcturus... one of the night sky's guideposts). This
will be it's one and only trip through the solar system as it rounds
the sun and get's tossed out.

Enter
C/2011 L4 in the search box of the Small Objects Database browser
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi
and then click Orbit Diagram and you can play its orbit forward and
backwards (zooming in and out, as necessary).
Java required to use the Small Objects Database browser.

I've long wondered what would prevent camera manufacturers from using
sensor arrays instead of single larger sensors.
I imagine that it is possible, but would require so much more from the
image processing engine (along with added complexities of bus channel
management, writing to card, etc.) that it just isn't worth it on a
small scale, when compared to using a single larger sensor.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska