On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

> But it is possible to design a sensor so that all the connections, &c.
> are made along one or two edges, with only a very thin gap between the
> edge of the package and the actual sensor cells on the other two edges.
> That means you can combine four sensors into a larger composite unit.

To give a sense of the numbers, I worked on a 6-CCD mosaic imaging
camera at Palomar Observatory. The CCDs were arranged as you describe,
with the readout edges at the periphery, not between chips, to
minimize the gap. The effective gap between chips was about 80 pixels,
each pixel being 15 microns.

This instrument was built around 1998-99, so improvements to the
packaging may have slimmed down that gap in newer designs.