>OK, so I am going to finally buy a great portrait
>lens.
>I still have not firmly decided which of the two to go
>for, although I am leaning towards the 85mm for it's
>faster speed and focal length. What are the reasons
>why I should even consider the 77mm 1.8; it seems a
>bit overpriced.

1) It's slighty cheaper than the FA*85/1.4.
2) The 77 is generally a sharper lens at all distance so it's great for many
things.
3) Light and compact mean great balance on even small bodies.
4) Much smaller and cheaper 49mm filters.
5) The aperture ring is much easier to operate too.
6) The almost circle shape aperture blades at large aperture.
7) Nice bokeh (no, the FA*85 is not consistant on this one)

>Is it built better?

Yes, at least there is no stick-on window to fall/peel off. Ask Pal and u
will know. It feels like those good old M lenses.

>Is it sharper?

Certainly, could be too sharp for most women though.

regards,
Alan Chan