Rob,

We have been down this road many, many times.  For current production
models, there are two - FA *85 f:1.4 and FA 77 f:1.8 Limited.  Both
are great lenses.  Based on test and observation, the FA 85 is
probably mostly designed for portraits at shorter ranges.  It's
sharpness falls off the closer you get to infinity until you stop way
down to about f8.  But for portraits, it truly excels.  The 77 Limited
could be thought of as a more general purpose lens.  It does not have
the same sharpness problem at distance so could easily be used as a
mild telephoto lens.

Both lenses have great bokeh for portrait work.  The FA 85 is faster
and bigger and heavier.  If you use one of the ZX series bodies, it
will feel nose heavy.  It balances much better on the PZ-1p or MZ-S
with battery grip.

Since the 77 Limited is actually cheaper than the FA 85, unless one
has a very specific reason for getting the FA 85, the 77 seems like
the better deal.  Smaller, lighter, more general usage, pretty similar
for portrait usage and less expensive.

When I got my FA 85 there was no other option.  I am *Very* happy with
it.  If the 77 had been available at that time, I probably would have
gone that route instead.  But there has been nothing shown to me yet
that makes me feel the 77 is a better portrait lens than my FA 85 so I
am not changing over.

Shel or Fred might be able to give you a good rundown on the used
market and what the offerings are.

HTH,

Bruce Dayton

Bruce