on 2012-01-27 02:30 Larry Colen wrote
if that's how much you'll pay, consider a tankless; we're extremely happy with
our Rinnai; we have it mounted outside the house, so no exhaust pipe needed

I thought about one of those a while back.  The problem is that our power goes
out far more frequently than ideal, and the tankless heaters don't work without
power.

they don't require much power (at least mine doesn't), so a UPS would solve that (though raise the cost); and i thought most modern gas water heaters required electricity (for the electronic ignition) these days, since the pilot is a big inefficiency (of course, the tank does store hot water for a while)