Rick Womer wrote:

>I have this nifty new receiver, which sounds great--a huge improvement
>over my 38-year-old Pioneer.
>
>What puzzles me is the volume control:  Minimum volume is -90dB (mute),
>and maximum is +15dB.
>
>Huh?
>
>What is zero dB?  Is it an arbitrary point?  Is it linked to some
>undisclosed property of the unit?
>
>I can tell you that 0dB is too loud to be in the room with using the
>tuner, barely tolerable with a CD, and just a bit loud with an LP.
>
>Otherwise, the scale makes no sense to me.

Typically, 0 dB represents 1 mW (milliWatt).
The formula for power  is L_dB=  10 log_10 * (P1 / P0), where P0=1 mW
So, -90 dB -  +15 dB would mean the range from 1 pW (picoWatt)
[non-audible] to ~32 Watt. That is  probably smaller than the max output
of your tuner.

What bothers me is that in this definition, 600 Ohm load is assumed.
So, for the typical speaker load of 8 0hm , the same voltage will
produce 75 times higher power.. But that would be way too much
(32 Watt * 75)!

But at the same time some sources suggest that 0 dB in case of
audio tuners/amplifiers corresponds to the maximum output level with
no noticable distortions.
Then, I am not sure how the maximum output power relates to this. I can
see two possibilities:
1) 15 dB corresponds to the max rated output power (say, 100 W).
Then it would mean that you don't have distortions up to about 3 W,
which is too small.

2) 0 dB corresponds to the max rated output power (say, 100 W).
Then it would mean that the amplifier can drive up to 3200 W, which is
way to much.

So, I am confused by that specification.

Igor