JC OCONNELL <hifis...@gate.net> wrote:

> Typically, 0 dB represents 1 mW (milliWatt).

This is only the case with dBm where 0 dBm is indeed 1 mW across 600
Ohm, corresponding to a voltage of 0.775 V.

dB with nothing behind expresses any kind of logarithmic ratio.
Amplification, attenuation, signal-to-noise, whatever. You could define
the price of a K-5 as 0 dB and then give the prices of all  other
cameras as plus (or minus) x dB. A camera costing +6 dB would be twice
as expensive. -6 dB would be half price etc.

Faders in studio equipment, e.g. mixing consoles, are usually labelled
from minus infinity through 0 dB (the normal "open" position) to +15 dB.
I suppose the manufacturer of the amplifier has put these dB values
around the volume knob to make it look more professional.

But don't take my word for it. I'm just a simple audio engineer. ;-)

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog   : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com