From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Mark Roberts
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 7:28 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT question for electronics geeks

John Francis wrote:

>I'm pretty sure the meters on my tape decks, etc. all had a "0"
>setting around 3/4 of the way along.  On the old mechanical ones
>the area behind the needle past that point was painted red; on the
>later electronic ones that was where the colour of the indicator
>lights changed from green to red.
>
>The zero point was where the best signal-to-noise ratio could be
>attained.  Conventional wisdom said you tried to keep sustained
>recording levels below that point, but as close to it as possible;
>occasional (brief) peaks into the red were OK.
>
>[Very much like "exposing to the right" by using the histogram]

Wow. A lot of nostalgia here!

Being a bit of an audio geek (and working as a technician in recording
studios) I did a lot of tape deck calibration. The "0" point was
supposed to represent a specific level of magnetization of the tape,
which was determined by the tape manufacturer, IIRC by measuring
distortion levels as the signal level approached saturation (the
magnetic tape equivalent of 255-255-255 RGB clipping in a digital
image).

The thing is, this was different for every specific tape formulation.
What a pain it was dealing with all the different tape types! Of
course, at the recording studio we just standardized on one single
tape and I'd just have to align the machines at the start of every new
project. You'd start with a lab-calibrated alignment tape (very
expensive) and get the playback calibrated. They you'd make recordings
and play them back, adjusting the recording settings until you get the
correct playback characteristics.

The thing was, the manufacturers kept improving tape formulations.
Ironically enough, this was happening at the fastest rate during the
final years of analog recording tape manufacture by 3M. It seemed that
every year there would be a new formula that could take a stronger
signal before saturation - say, an extra 3dB. Now since the lab-made
calibration tape was a fixed standard, you'd have to calibrate
playback levels to -3db as shown by the meters (the tape came with
instructions for the exact level) and then re-calibrate the *meters*
to show that new level as 0db. And then re-calibrate recording levels
(which would work out 3dB hotter).

In the end I think we were calibrating to be hitting the tape 9 or 12
dB hotter than the reference tape and still not coming near saturation
with the tape formulations in use!

So 0dB in tape recording was very far indeed from a fixed standard!

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

follow the directions.