on 2012-02-03 13:35 George Sinos wrote
This discussion is very interesting.

My guess is the numbers don't really correspond to any particular
value.  The designer probably thought the fairly technical numbers
gave the front panel a feeling of "technicality."

my Yamaha RX-1100 (same brand as Rick's receiver, but about 20 years older) has a volume knob that goes ∞ 60 50 40 34 and by increasingly small increments "up" to 0, the maximum volume; i believe the lowest number i've used is 24, which is about 1/3 of the way "up" from ∞; i interpret these as numbers as dB attenuation from max (expressed as such they are clear without being negative)

so Yamaha apparently has a tradition of indicating volume in dB; yet i could see marketing dweebs in the mid-90s or later expressing concern that topping out at zero would hurt sales and thus a concept of a 0dB reference was substituted for attenuation from max

or it could be that as with many newer AV receivers, there is a calibration tool included that can listen to the system and balance it, and if possible set 0dB to the 85dB listening reference as mentioned above; i believe one or both of these is why the dial goes to +15dB