>AL> The Pan family are the cheapest Ilford b/w films. There is ISO 100, 200 and 400
>(I'm not sure if there's
>AL> anything faster). AFAIK, this is something like Kodak
>AL> Academy, since it lacks an anti-reflection layer. It's, however, of much better
>quality (great tonality,
>AL> sharpness etc) than the Academy. It costs about half the
>AL> price of HP5+ in Poland.
>
>Iso 200 ? I have never seen a Pan 200 - are you sure? It's just over
>the border and all we get is just 100 and 400 !

No, I'm not sure, to be honest... I thought I saw it on the photographic market that
takes place in Warsaw every Sunday. I, however, don't use ISO200 films
(for they are neither sharp enough to match ISO100 and 50, nor fast enough to handhold
a camera with a slow zoom), so my eyes could've misguided me:)

>lacking anti-reflection layer? You mean anti-halation layer?
>
>I seriously doubt it, Artur, as all films (except the infra - Kodak
>HIE) have anti-halation layer. Otherwise, you would get pretty crappy
>pictures in any kind of backlight or high contrast situation - exactly
>these situations I shoot Pan 400 pushed at.

I've written "AFAIK":)) I heard that Pan films lack that anti-halation layer but the
rumours may be wrong. However, I'm pretty sure the Kodak Academy lacks
this layer, since it behaves exactly in the way you've written:) No way to shoot it in
backlight situatoins and some say it has NO contrast AT ALL:))) That's
pretty crappy piece of material, very bad thought of here in Poland - but it's cheap,
so it can be used to test film avance in a camera or something:)

>I don't know the Academy, but I can only second your statement -
>Ilford Pan 400 is second only Tri-X and HP5+, by a very little margin, and
>the dev times are same for both 100 and FP4+ and 400 as HP5+, so they in
>all probability are at least very similar films to their more
>expensive brethern. However, the price isn't so good anymore - now I
>get bulk Pan 400 at only ~33% less the price of bulk HP5+ (although
>when buying film in 36 exp boxes, it's about 50% difference. I never
>buy 36 exp film if I don't have to though). Sad thing is that Ilford
>prices almost DOUBLED over the last three years! I remember
>HP5+ at around 85Kc now it costs nearly 160Kc per 36exp ! Similar for
>boxed Pan 400. (although the prices are still managable when buying
>bulk rolls of film - did I tell you that I can get bulk rolls of HP5+
>which makes the film 40% (sic!) cheaper than buying 36exp boxes <G>?)

Well, in Poland Pan 400 costs about 9,90 PLN per box (36 exp) while 36 exp box of HP5+
costs about 19,90 PLN, so it's about 50% difference. As for bulks -
25 m of Pan 400 costs about 136 PLN which gives you even cheaper 36 box (if I'm
correct thinking that 36 exp film is about 1,5m long...) - about 8 PLN. Bulk
HP5+ (25m) costs well over 300 PLN, so the price ratio is maintained for the bulks
too...
Of course, there are different locations in Warsaw, where those films cost much higer
- but the point is to find a reliable, yet cheap source of films, right?:)
To privide some reference point: 1 $ = about 4 PLN; 1 Kc = about 0,1 PLN

>Anyway,
>       let us know what are the results using the R09. Does Foma still
>       cooperate with Poland chemistry plant? There were several
>       things they made together I think.
>Good light,
>   Frantisek Vlcek

AFAIK, Foton - the biggest Polish chemical and photographic industry works is stiil
part of the Foma Group, or whatever it is called...
Greetz
Artur

--

Okresl Swoje potrzeby - my znajdziemy oferte za Ciebie!
[ http://oferty.onet.pl ]