AL> anti-halation layer but the rumours may be wrong. However, I'm
AL> pretty sure the Kodak Academy lacks this layer, since it behaves
[...] Wow! I thought only the Kodak High Speed Infrared lacked the
layer :) That's Kodak - some really strange products out there. I
guess the film must have an antihalation layer, but it probably is
cheaper and therefore less effective than normal types. Otherwise, it
would be next to impossible to use, and even Kodak can't sell such
film to masses, or can it ;-) I should not underestimate the power of
advertising and branding...
AL> in Poland - but it's cheap, so it can be used to test film avance
AL> in a camera or something:)
Heh :) When I bulkloaded Fomapans, I got a 36 exp roll for about 23 Kc
of Fomapan100 ... now talk about film for testing (and I still shoot
landscapes on this film, it's good enough for me! I think it's a good
one). If only their Fomapan400 was as good, I could burn with
motordrive a roll for 23 Kc, Wow! ;-( At thrice that, I am not about
to use motordrive excessively with the Ilford...

AL> To privide some reference point: 1 $ = about 4 PLN; 1 Kc = about 0,1 PLN

Well, if the 0,1 PLN = 1 Kc is still valid, the prices for Ilfords
seem way high in Polland! You can now get the HP5+ in 36 exp boxes for
140 Kc (and I can get about 5-10% off this as a frequent customer at
that shop) ! That's lot of difference. Same for bulk rolls - 30m of
HP5+ costs around 1900 Kc (enough for about 18 rolls), 17m costed
850-950 Kc (ten rolls). The Ilford Pan 400 goes for 85 Kc /36exp or
1150 Kc  for 30m... Perhaps you should come to Prague for a little
shopping, going over the "green border" on the way back ;-) ? It's fun
how it works out - sometimes we shopped there sometimes you shopped
here...

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek