On 11 March 2012 07:28, P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, by their ages past naming convention, Ektar should by rights be a
> slide film.  I didn't realize it was a reversal film.

EktaXXXX wasn't a naming convention reserved just for transparency
film such as Ektachrome.  Other products used the "Ekta" prefix, among
them Ektacolor, Ektapress, Ektaprint, Ektaflex, as well as the Ektar
colour negative film already mentioned.

BTW, I hate to play the Grammar Nazi, but slide films and reversal
films aren't opposites, they are one and the same.  You must have
meant "negative" when you wrote "reversal".  Simply explained,
practically all emulsions are natively negative. Slide films have a
reversal step during processing.  Hence, slide film is called reversal
film.

There are (were) a very small number of natively positive products.
Ilfochrome (formerly Cibachrome) is the one which most people will
know.  It is a dye destruction process, where the exposing light
breaks down Azo dyes and renders them unable to be developed, leaving
colour density only in unexposed areas.  Dyeline paper (the newer
alternative to blueprint paper) was a simpler type of the dye
destruction where the dye in the white areas was destroyed by UV
exposure while the remaining unexposed azo dyes were developed by
ammonia vapour, to become the black lines of architectural drawings.
Lastly there was a rarer process called autopositive or auto reversal.
 These materials had been exposed to the "point of reversal", a point
of gross overexposure where any further exposure actually reduced the
latent image density, i.e. more light = less density.  This material
was definitely a lab material, not a general photographic film.  It
had very poor tonal characteristic but was useful in graphic arts
processes.

regards, Anthony