I don't know how many versions there were. But the first one, which is
generally considered the best, is very heavy and is of thick metal
construction. It can focus on objects at up to 1: 2 imaging -- half size on the
negative or sensor. It comes with an optical adapter that attaches to the rear
of the lens and enables 1:1 full-size macro work. It has the metal front lens
cap with the Vivitar Series 1 logo. It would be very expensive if made today.
It was made in both screw mount and K-mount. I think it dates from around 1979.
About ten years ago they were selling used for around $250. Not sure what
they're going for now.

Paul